DNA sampling is a vital tool for stud breeders.
Here’s some quick reminders about how to get the best out of your DNA results.
- Hair or semen samples are accepted by Neogen, wet TSU/tissue is preferred. DNA samples can be taken at birth; however, you can take them when ever. For example, you may need to meet DNA testing requirements for a sale animal.
- A completed Neogen DNA form must accompany all samples. Click here to download.
- Complete the spreadsheet form electronically (save a copy of the form to your computer and type in the details), print a hard copy to mail with your samples and email the electronic copy to firstname.lastname@example.org This improves the efficiency and accuracy when processing orders, as the order details can be imported direct into the Neogen ordering system from the emailed form.
- For PBB/Neogen to be able to complete parentage/PV (sire and/or dam verification), parents MUST have a compatible SNP profile available to use in the PV analysis (microsatellite/MiP profiles not compatible). PBB can assist breeders with arranging/sourcing parent genotypes where needed.
- PBB can source existing hair samples from Massey for SNP testing if needed for $10+GST (including the cost of hair card + splitting fee).
- Young calves can be BVD tested using a TSU/tissue sample – there is no minimum age, however samples must be submitted ASAP following sample collection.
- Get in touch with Megan at PBB if you have any questions about your DNA requirements. Ph 06 323 4484 or email email@example.com